Dimitra Chalkia, PhD
- Research Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for Mitochondrial and Epigenomic Medicine (CMEM)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute
Colket Translational Research Building
3501 Civic Center Boulevard
- Phone: (949) 371-7359
- Fax: (267) 426-0978
Dr. Chalkia's research includes examination of the role of mtDNA variation in human health and disease as well as adaptation to extreme climates. Another line of her research includes the study of the mode of mtDNA heteroplasmy inheritance.
- Sharpley MS, Marciniak C, Eckel-Mahan K, McManus M, Crimi M, Waymire K, Lin CS, Masubuchi S, Friend N, Koike M, Chalkia M, MacGregor G, Sassone-Corsi P, and Wallace DC. Heteroplasmy of Mouse mtDNA Is Genetically Unstable and Results in Altered Behavior and Cognition. Cell 151:333–343, 2012.
- Ji F, Sharpley MS, Derbeneva O, Alves LS, Qian P, Wang Y, Chalkia D, Lvova M, Xu J, Yao W, Simon M, Platt J, Xu S, Angelin A, Davila A, Huang T, Wang PH, Chuang LM, Moore LG, Qian G, Wallace DC. Mitochondrial DNA variant associated with Leber hereditary optic neuropathy and high-altitude Tibetans. Proc Natl Acad Sci 109(19):7391-6, 2012.
- Chalkia D, N Nikolaidis, W Makalowski, J Klein, M Nei. Origins and evolution of the Formin multigene family that is involved in formation of actin filaments. Mol Biol Evol 25:2717-33, 2008.
- Nikolaidis N, I Makalowska, D Chalkia, W Makalowski, J Klein, M Nei. Origin and evolution of the chicken leukocyte receptor complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci 102:4057-62, 2005.
- Poulakakis N, P Lymberakis, A Antoniou, D Chalkia, E Zouros, M Mylonas, E Valakos. Molecular phylogeny and biogeography of the wall-lizard Podarcis erhardii (Squamata: Lacertidae). Mol Phylogenet Evol 28:38-46, 2003.